It kept out the animals but attracted every kid in the neighborhood, all wanting to “accidentally” touch the electric fence and get zapped with their friends looking on. Posting a dramatic yellow sign covered with lightning bolts and dire warnings only served to encourage them. One day, a neighbor’s houseguest noticed our dog, Pie, had been accidentally shut inside the garden. The young man kindly reached through the fence to pet the dog, and just as his hand came in contact with her head, his chin touched the electric wire. Dog and man flew apart with identical howls of shocked surprise. I rushed over to apologize, explaining this was an electric fence to keep out pests. “Well, it works,” he said shortly. “You won’t see me around your garden again.” Nor did we.
Originally published Thursday, November 17, 2011